GBP

£14.03

£19.25

Savings of: £5.22 (27% off)

Ancient Incas' best kept secret.

Posted by Leione on Jul 16, 2014

Maca root is truly a superfood. 100 grams of it contain a whopping 475% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin C, 300% of copper, 85% of iron, 57% of pota ssium and vitamin B6, 39% of manganese, 29% of dietary fiber, protein, and niacin, 25% of calcium, 21% of riboflavin, as well as essential amino acids and phytosterols. Such a unique composition makes maca root a powerful endocrine system regulator, adaptogen, stress relieving and immune system boosting agent. No surprise it was revered by the ancient Incas. Maca root is great for treating hormone imbalances, hypothyroidism, low energy levels, anemia, menopause and menstrual disorders, osteoporosis, arthritis, rheumatism, stress, depression, chronic fatigue syndrome, leukemia, tuberculosis, stomach cancer, infertility, and even HIV/AIDS. Maca root contains unique alkaloids that stimulate the hypothalamus and pituitary gland to better balance the entire endocrine system, boost and strengthen the immune system, increase energy levels, relieve the symptoms of stress and depression, help maintain healthy bones, joints, teeth, and even reduce the risk of cancer. But maca root is a very powerful product and can cause side effects in some individuals, so it should be taken in moderation. It is a fiber-rich vegetable composed of 25% fibers (oligosaccahrides, cellulose, lignins) and contains goitrogens (goitrogenic glycosides, or glucosinolates), which have some anti-nutritive effects and can cause stomach cramps, indigestion, and thyroid and hormonal issues in people with hormone-sensitive conditions, such as breast, uterine, or ovarian cancer, endometriosis, and uterine fibroids. These goitrogens are neutralized by cooking (in Peru it's always cooked) or starch gelatinization, which makes maca root powder a slightly concentrated and easily digestible product. Starch gelatinization is a simple process that involves heating starches in the presence of water, with the aim of gelatinizing the starches. Gelatinization of maca powder involves gentle heat combined with water, which opens up the starch molecules, softens cellulose and disperses many of the soluble fibers. In addition to making maca's alkaloids more bioavailable, it also deactivates myrosinase enzyme, making it so the goitrogens in maca are not metabolized. So, if you're prone to indigestion and stomach cramps, it's best to try the gelatinized version of this product. This organic, non-GMO, and gluten-free raw maca powder really works for me: since I started taking a teaspoon of this product daily, I haven't noticed any side effects, and it makes me more active and energetic. It has a slightly bitter taste, but goes well with yogurt, smoothies, shakes, cereal, granola, tea, coffee, chocolate, and great in cookies, pancakes, and muffins. Maca's flavor blends well with different fruits, berries, nuts, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. I would definitely recommend it. It's worth trying.

Found an answer to the Price Spike. . .

Posted by Reviewer1094600 on Feb 18, 2015

From a news post on a website that specializing in selling Maca== Here's what they said: Prices Soar As Maca Roots Are Smuggled Out Of Peru== Troubling Times For The Global Maca Market== In early July 2014 as we prepared to purchase some freshly harvested Maca from our farming co-operative in Peru we were greeted with some troubling news. Our supplier told us that the price of Maca was rising quickly due to unprecedented demand from Asian and, in particular, Chinese buyers. We quickly became aware of the extent of this new demand when we were quoted prices nearly double the previous market price. At that time we submitted our purchase order at the new prices. Shockingly a message came back to us a few days later that the prices had doubled yet again and would likely continue to rise. Thanks to our deep connections with various Maca suppliers in Peru and the U.S. we discovered that everyone in the Maca trade is experiencing prices 4 and 5 times higher than normal. Here’s part of an email we received from one of our suppliers a couple weeks ago: “Unfortunately maca situation maintains and we don’t have maca back in stock or to be delivered. Currently maca price on farms are still increasing and now they are 100% more than 2 weeks ago.” And another: “Prices are going up almost every week due to the high demand from the Chinese.” Since our only focus is Organic Peruvian Maca we had to find out what is happening. What’s Causing Maca Prices to Go So High This Year? We’ve discovered that Chinese nationals are coming into Peru posing as tourists. They approach Maca farmers directly in their fields with suitcases full of cash and offer them 4-8 times market rate for their products. The farmers have been taking the money, even when it means breaking contracts they have had with Peruvian national producers who have supported them for decades. It’s certainly easy to question the ethics of this tactic, but the Chinese are going even further by illegally smuggling whole Maca roots and seeds out of the country. Here’s how one of our contacts in Peru put it a couple of days ago: “Maca is not allowed by our government to be exported as raw material (fresh product without being processed) because it can be used as a seed in other countries, and this is a product considered to be native to Peru and our government tries to maintain it as such. However, the Chinese are taking the product fresh out of our country illegally through our country’s borders with Bolivia and Ecuador. This problem was shown on national TV yesterday. Our government is increasing control, and I hope they manage to be successful and stop the Chinese from doing this.”. . .. . . . . So, please don't blame iHerb.

Awesome!

Posted by Reviewer1189637 on Nov 21, 2011

I got pregnant after 18 months of infertility due to pcos using vitex and maca from navitus naturals the fist month. I feel that these products helped even though all the thanks is to God! I used the Macau in yogurt and oatmeal. The taste is tolerable.

Definitely worth buying!

Posted by Supplementsdiy on Nov 17, 2013

Maca is an adaptogen that is well known to increase libido for both men/women without affecting hormones. It helps to increase sperm count and motility, improve immunity, nutrient dense (rich in amino acid, phytonutrients, healthy fats, vitamin and minerals), nourishes the endocrine system, balances the hormones relieve exhausted adrenal glands which help to handle stress, increase energy levels, improve physical endurance and elevates our mood. This product is organic (no pesticides), kosher, vegan and raw (means that vitamins and enzymes are not destroyed by heat). Maca has a sweet and slight root taste. I consider it pleasant tasting. It’s a good price for 454g of maca. Personally, I find that the libido boost and energy boost is quite observant. This is a good way to take maca as well as compared to those capsules of 500mg or tablets of 1000mg (seriously low in dosage). I like to mix with chocolate based blend like Amazing Gras s Chocolate to drink. My only complaint is that the zip lock tears off easily so you will require a container unless the powder will cake. Check out my page for more reviews!

Lifesaver

Posted by Reviewer1374446 on Apr 23, 2008

My hormones were completely wrecked! Adrenal/cortisol imbalance, hypothyroidism, and after 4 years my hot flashes had come back! - I've taken this stuff for only 3 weeks now and can tell an absolutely DRAMATIC difference in the way I feel. I'm starting to feel great again and the hot flashes have diminished by about 90%. I can't wait to get to the endocrinologist to see my bloodwork test results. I expect I'll be taking this product the rest of my life. I'm so thankful I've found it!

Macamazing !

Posted by vinetu28 on Sep 19, 2014

I think this stuff works! You feel more driven to accomplish things. I notice that when I don't take it I'll have less energy. It's not a hyper energy it's more of a calm focused energy. The powder is great because you can mix it with drinks and it tastes kind of maltey. I sometimes eat it directly from the spoon and rinse it down with water. I've read it's even better for women to take because it balances their hormones which fluctuate more than men's do. You need to start slowly with the dosage and adjust it according to your body's needs, then take a break from it occasionally or it appears to lose potency(for example: 3 week ON, 1 week OFF). I recommend using 1 tsp to 1 tbsp in water mixing it up and drinking it as fast as possible in the morning. It taste bad but you can mix it with juice or something else (smoothies, shakes and tea). It is necessary to note that аnyone who has a sensitive digestive system must be careful with the raw maca. Like other cruciferous roots, maca is particularly difficult to digest when raw. Not only is it fiber-dense, it also contains lots of goitrogens - that's why the raw root and it's flour is so bitter - so it's no wonder people have digestive and occasional hormonal (thyroid) complaints.To avoid this issue maca should be cooked in order to be gentle on digestion, on metabolism, and it has always been cooked traditionally(by the native Puruvians)for this purpose! Another option for those with digestive issue is Gelatinized Maca Powder(iHerb carry gelatinized raw maca). Gelatinized means that it's fiber has been removed, and goitrogens denatured. The gelatinized product was developed specifically to address the digestion issue inherent with the root. To summarize, I give this maca powder a five star rating because it's simply great . This stuff makes you feel better than any multivitamin you'll find and I definitely recommend it .

It's very good for me

Posted by Reviewer2719565 on Nov 22, 2008

I am a 55 y.o. woman in New Zealand. It helps with my hot flushes. If I don't take it one day, I feel the difference. It does give me energy, I believe. I take 1 teaspoon every morning, and I can sleep better also.

The WOW Factor!

Posted by Reviewer2678051 on Nov 08, 2009

I have been religiously using this powder for about one month now. After a week, I noticed an upswing in libido. I purchased this product, in addition to natural progesterone cream, to regulate my hormonal imbalance-I'm estrogen dominant-and it really has balanced my levels. At that time of month for many years I would experience the migraines, neck and back aches; but now this has substantially decreased and I no longer experience the migraines, neck and back aches. I do experience a slight headache that usually lasts about 20 minutes--but again no migraines and for me that is a GREAT relief to not suffer continuously for days. I would recommend this product and give it about two to three months to really feel a difference.

The rare good thing

Posted by 5355887354393662548 on Jun 01, 2015

Prices have gone up too exaggerated, $ us19 rise to $ us45, too illogical!

yummmm

Posted by Reviewer2746709 on Oct 17, 2007

I have liked the conversations I have had with these people about their product, and I trust it more than some others. Have been using maca daily for over a year, and I think it has helped a lot with menstrual issues and stamina. I love the taste and use it in smoothies and puddings and such.