GBP

£14.35

£27.62

Savings of: £13.27 (48% off)

• Doctor's Best uses exclusively the Tryptopure brand of tryptophan, manufactured by Ajinomoto of Japan.
  • Customer Ratings

L-Tryptophan powder

Posted by Reviewer2681961 on Jul 07, 2008

I highly recommend this form (powder) and product for anyone who uses tryptophan supplements--mood regulation, DEEP restorative sleep, appetite control, etc. Just be sure to have it with glucose (a juice or piece of bread) and not with protein (for 3 hours prior or 30 minutes after taking the tryptopure) in order to increase effectiveness of the serotonin better passing through the blood-brain barrier. (this is true for ALL trypto-supplements) I particularly like this Tryptophan formula and powder form Vs. Hydroxy-tryptophan pills.... This seems more effective. It's inexpensive too!

Very Effective

Posted by Reviewer1140718 on Jun 12, 2007

This is more powerful than I believed it would be. I tried it for mild to moderate anxiety and it really does work fo me. I seem to sleep more soundly at night as well. The powder is not very dense so it does not mix well with liquid, however this problem is easily overcome. I mix it in with a 1/4 cup of applesauce- add a dash of cinnamon and you're good to go.

Awesome for Sleep!

Posted by Reviewer1125967 on Oct 21, 2007

Not only puts you to sleep but a very deep sleep too... I use to wake up almost every hour, now I sleep 6-8 with no problem

5-htp

Posted by Reviewer1706131 on Mar 24, 2009

I used this instead of 5-htp for a week. Depression crept in, so I switched back to 5-htp. Will try it again during less stressful times. Tryptophan is supposed to be safer in the long term than 5-htp. The stuff is bitter, and fly away powdery. This is the only brand I have tried.

L-Tryptophan 50 g

Posted by Reviewer2888129 on Mar 02, 2009

I wasn't paying enough attention when I ordered this product. Previously I've ordered from you, and used Doctor's Best L-Tryptophan Powder USP Pharmacetical Grade 100 grams. The price was similar, and I use a similar amount each night. Therefore, I am paying about twice as much for the new to me product. I hope that in the future you will again offer the 100-gram product.

Excellent value

Posted by Reviewer3105907 on Oct 04, 2008

The powder form of tryptophan is more of a value if you use it nightly and need to take more than one dose to fall asleep. I have been using this for the last year and it has totally brought me back to a normal sleep pattern. I wake up feeling rested. Also has me feeling better emotionally. I tried the Now brand of tryptophan but it did not work for me as well as Doctor's best.

Bait & Switch For Same Quantity On Re-Order

Posted by Reviewer1209046 on Mar 09, 2008

Placed a re-order for this item, but in the 100g size as on all of my previous orders, and received 50g size for same price. Called IHerb "customer service", and was rudely told "that's the price now, or you can send it back". No answer to my polite inquiry, and no explanation. The product is fine, but I'll seek other sources next time.

Good product but hard to swallow

Posted by NBPT100 on Jul 23, 2013

I gave this three stars only because it does not mix well in water and tastes awefull. But it does help with better sleep. It is cheaper than capsules but I think I will spring for the capsules next time. If you have a capsule filling machine you could try that approach and not have to deal with mixing and trying to get it down your throat. It can be time consuming. L-tryptophan is a precursor to 5-HTP. Some people find that 5-HTP does not work so well for them. If this is you, L-tryptophan is a good alternative. Try it with a small amount of B6 and B3 as they are cofactors and it may work better. If you found this review helpful, kindly visit my home page and see more value added reviews. Peace and good health.

Mild, if any, effects

Posted by Reviewer1372184 on Jan 15, 2007

I have a pretty severe anxiety/panic disorder. I am extremely open to "natural" treatments for my condition. I am sorry to say that this tryptophan product has extremely mild effects on my anxiety, even at higher doses. I have taken up to 3 grams at a time, and at most I feel a slight decrease in anxiety. It is similar in its effects to St. John's, SAM-e, kava, magnesium, and many of the other natural standards for anxiety/depression I have tried. Unfortunately, benzos, SSRIs, SNRIs, tricyclics, and the like are far more effective for me than are treatments such as this l-tryp. Perhaps this just is not a good brand. However, I have tried two other brands of l-tryp with similar results. Also, this brand has a horrific taste, even when mixed with something sweet. That's my two cents.

Depression

Posted by Reviewer2260549 on Nov 18, 2008

I bought this for my mom for her depression. After lots of research I found this is the best brand. I like the powder vs the capsules because the caps are 500 mg and the powder is a 500 mg scoop but you can use 1/2 the scoop or whatever amount you want to control the dosage. My mom only takes 1/2 a scoop at night and she is really liking it for her depression and improved sleep.